Town Clerk

Christian G. Sampson, Town Clerk
845 357-5100 ext. 263
Fax 845 357-8513

Please click here to email the Town Clerk.

Hours Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm; Evening hours: second Wednesday of each month, 5pm - 8pm

The Town Clerk is appointed by the Town Board for a 2-year term as secretary for the Town. He is the keeper and sole user of the Town Seal. As the secretary for the Town, the Town Clerk attends all meetings of the Town Board, is the custodian of all Town records, creates Minutes of Town Board meetings, and processes installation and resignation of Town officials.

The Town Clerk serves as Registrar of Vital Statistics (births and deaths) for unincorporated Ramapo and for the Villages of Airmont, Kaser, New Hempstead, and New Square. The Clerk's Office issues various licenses and permits required by either the Town or the State of New York, including marraige licesnses and hunting and fishing licenses. 

Town Clerk Information

FOIL Request Form: Application for Public Access to Town Records

Vital Statistics: Information on birth, death and marriage documents, as well as genealogical searches.

Licenses and Permits: Information on marriage, dog, fish & game, handicapped parking, and other licenses and permits.


Birth Certificates

Births occurring in unincorporated portions of Ramapo and in the Villages of Airmont, Kaser, New Hempstead, and New Square are filed here. To record a birth and obtain a birth certificate:

  • Certificate form completed by parents, doctor or midwife.
  • Completed certificate submitted to Clerk's Office with proper ID.
  • Registrar or Deputy Registrar signs, dates, and files certificate.
  • Official Birth Certificate is mailed to parents.

Death Certificates

Deaths occurring in unincorporated portions of Ramapo and in the Villages of Airmont, Kaser, New Hempstead, and New Square are filed here. To record a death and obtain a death certificate:

  • Information normally collected and brought in by funeral director.
  • Registrar or Deputy Registrar verifies, signs and dates certificate and issues burial permit.
  • If remains are to be cremated, a cremation number must be obtained from Medical Examiner's office and recorded on the certificate.

NOTE: Births and deaths at Good Samaritan Hospital are recorded by the Registrar of the Village of Suffern (357-2600), not by the Town of Ramapo.

For New York State Vital records please visit the state web site at

Birth Transcripts

Legal equivalent to an original Birth Certificate that is available to the person on the birth certificate if 18 yrs of age or older; to the parents of the person named; to a lawful representative; or to a person with a NY state court order.  The application requires identification and information pertinent to the birth. There is a $10 fee.

Marriage Transcripts

Legal equivalent to an original Certificate of Marriage that is available to the bride, groom or legal representative. The application requires identification and information pertinent to the marriage. There is a $10 fee. NOTE: Marriages are recorded where the original license was issued, which may or may not be where the marriage itself occurred.

Death Transcripts

Death transcripts are available to a surviving spouse, parent, adult child, or sibling of the decedent. Transcripts are also available to funeral directors or anyone who can demonstrate legal right or claim. There is a $10 fee, however one transcript is free at the time of death if the decedent was a veteran.

Genealogical Records

Town of Ramapo genealogical records of births, deaths, and marriages begin in 1881. A basic fee of $22 covers a search and uncertified copy or notification of no record. Submit completed application (NYS Form DOH-1562, available at Clerk's Office), with fee to the Clerk's Office. If more than three years must be searched, the fee may increase; there is a complete schedule on the application form.

Licenses and Permits

  • Bingo/Games of Chance Licenses
  • DEC Fish & Game Licenses
  • Dog License
  • Handicapped Parking Permit
  • Marriage License
  • Landscaping Permit
  • Peddler's License
  • Refuse License
  • Sewer License
  • Sewer Permit
  • Snowplowing Permit
  • Temporary Sign
  • Tire Disposal

Marriage License

  • Both parties to application must appear in person before the Town Clerk.
  • Must be obtained at least 24 hours, but not more than 60 days before marriage; active members of Armed Forces not more than 180 days before marriage.
  • $40 fee - Blood test not required in New York State.
  • Birth certificate and a current government-issued picture ID, such as a valid driver's license or passport
  • Parental consent form required for persons less than 18 years of age.Court order required for persons 16 and under.
  • If divorced, certified copy of divorce decree required.
  • If widow or widower, death certificate of former spouse required.
  • License to be signed by officiant and witness(es) and returned to Clerk after marriage.
  • Copy of license kept by Clerk - $5 charge for duplicate if original is lost.
  • Marriage certificate sent to couple, original kept on file.
  • Marriage officer is available by appointment to perform Marriage Ceremonies at a fee of $100.

Back to top

Accessible Parking Permit

Available to New York State residents with one or more of the following permanent or temporary disabilities, as certified by a Licensed Physician, Phyician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner.

  • Limited or no use of one or both legs
  • A neuro-muscular condition that severely limits mobility
  • Other physical or mental conditions which make use of public transportation unusually difficult
  • Blindness (as defined by Vehicle and Traffic Law, Section 404-a,4)
  • Available to residents of Airomont, Chestnut Ridge, Hillburn, Monetebello, New Square, Pomona, Sloatsburg and unincorportated Ramapo.  Residents of the other villages contact their Village Hall.

Applications are available from the Town Clerk or downloadable at  The application must be filled out by both the applicant and the applicant's licensed physician. A recent letter from the applicant's physician may be accepted in lieu of physician's portion of the application. Letters or applications signed by chiropractors are not currently acceptable to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. Permanent Permits are good for 3-year period and are renewable without new physician certification.   Temporary Permits are good for up to 6 months, at the discretion of physician. There is no charge for the original permit. Renewal of Temporary Permit requires a new application or letter from physician.

Back to top

Tire Disposal

Obtain a sticker ($3 per tire) from the Town Clerk, and place one on each tire. Place the tire(s), with sticker(s) visible, at curbside on your regular recycling pick-up day.

Back to top

Fish and Game Licenses

Hunting & fishing license requirements are set by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). Licenses may be obtained from the Town Clerk.

Back to top

Dog License

All dogs over the age of four (4) months harbored by Town of Ramapo residents must be licensed by the Town Clerk.  To obtain a new dog license:

  • Owner must furnish proof of rabies vaccination, and verification if claiming dog has been spayed or neutered.
  • All original documents are returned to the dog owner.

License fees:

  • Unaltered male or female: $15.00, unless dog is under 6 months old
  • Neutered male or spayed female: $7.00

The above fees include a $6.00 local fee, which is waived for owners over 65 years of age. The owner receives a printed license with identically numbered metal tag for dog. A copy is kept on file in the Town Clerk's Office. Contact the Town Clerk to replace lost or worn tags; there is a $3.00 fee.  Dog licenses must be renewed annually; the expiration date appears on the license.

Renewals: Dog License renewal notices are mailed by the Town Clerk.  The owner receives a renewal form by mail which is also available from the Town Clerk if lost or not received. The owner may renew the license by mail or in person.  The owner must provide documentation of current status of rabies vaccination. The annual fee is the same as for new registration. Dog licenses are considered deliquent after a grace period of 60 days and may incure a late fee of $10.  

Transfer of Ownership:  Town Clerk should be notified of any transfer of ownership, death and/or relinquishment of dog.

Death of Dog: The owner completes "Change of Status" portion on the back of a license or renewal form. The completed form must be mailed or delivered with metal tag to the Town Clerk.

Back to top

Peddler's License

A $1500 bond and $50 fee are required. Application forms may be obtained from the Town Clerk. Completed application forms must include 3 passport-sized photos of the applicant. Names and addresses of two personal references must be supplied. The applicant must provide fingerprints.  The Ramapo Police Department will fingerprint Ramapo Residents only. The license is issued after receipt of fingerprints, reference replies, bond and fee. Copies are sent to the Police Department for a background check and filed in the Town Clerk's office. A peddler's license is valid for sixty (60) days only for the specific purpose for which it was issued. Licenses may be subject to site restrictions.

Back to top

Bingo & Games of Chance Licenses

Eligible organizations (religious, charitable, volunteer or veteran) first obtain a State identification number by submitting form BC-1A (for Bingo) or form GC-1A (for Games of Chance) to: New York State Racing and Wagering Board 1 Empire State Plaza, Suite 1201 Albany NY 12223-1151

After an identification number is obtained, an organization submits a license application to the Town Clerk. The license fee is $25 for Games of Chance and $18.75 for Bingo for each date on which games are to be conducted. Statements of proceeds from games must be filed with the Town Clerk within one week of the event. This process takes several weeks, as Police and Fire Inspectors must verify the safety of premises to be used before approval is granted. All required forms are available from the Town Clerk.

Back to top

Landscaping Permit

A Landscaping Permit is required for persons or firms providing landscape maintenance services for hire in Unincorporated Ramapo. The fee is $25.00 per vehicle; there is no extra fee for trailers used with a vehicle covered by permit. The permit period extends from March 1st until February 28th of the following year. Applicants must provide proof of valid registration and insurance coverage of all vehicle(s) to be used.

Back to top

Snowplowing Permit

A Snowplowing Permit is required for persons or firms providing snowplowing services for hire in Unincorporated Ramapo. The fee is $40.00 per vehicle. Applicants must provide proof of valid registration and insurance coverage of all vehicle(s) to be used. Applicants must also provide current driver's licenses for all vehicle operators to be covered. Copies of permit, registration(s), insurance card(s), and driver's license(s) are kept on file. The permit is for one season; it expires the following November. A permit includes a vehicle sticker with permit number, license plate number, and expiration date. If the permit covers multiple vehicles, a sticker is provided for each vehicle included on permit.

Back to top

Refuse License

A refuse license is required for any person or firm engaged in business of collecting, removing and/or transporting refuse in Unincorporated Ramapo. Applications may be obtained from the Town Clerk's office. Applications must be completed, notarized, and returned to the Town Clerk. Applicants must provide proof of insurance coverage for automobile, general liability, and Worker's Compensation. The license is issued and subject to approval by the Director of Public Works and Town Attorney. The license costs $150, and it is valid for a calendar year, January 1st to December 31st with maintenance of proof of insurance as outlined above.  There is an additional per truck fee of $100. 

Back to top

Sewer License

A sewer license is required for any person, firm or corporation, before commencement of any work to construct a house sewer or connection to the sewer system. An application for a sewer license shall be submitted to the Town Clerk.

Prior to the issuance of a license by the Town Clerk, the applicant must furnish satisfactory proof as follows:

  • Must be registered with New York Department of State
  • Must possess a Rockland County Contractor License
  • Applicant is qualified to do such work in a good, workmanlike manner.
  • Application is accompanied by bond with sureties acceptable to the Board, in the sum of not less than $10,000.
  • Proof of Liability Insurance, with the Town of Ramapo listed as an “Additional Insured” and Worker’s Compensation Insurance
  • The fee for such license shall be $100 payable to the Ramapo Town Clerk upon submission of application