Town of Ramapo, New York
Questions? call: 845-357-5100

Permits & Licenses

Accessible Parking Permit Application

Available to New York State residents with one or more of the following permanent or temporary disabilities, as certified by a Licensed Physician, Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner.

  • Limited or no use of one or both legs
  • A neuro-muscular condition that severely limits mobility
  • Other physical or mental conditions which make use of public transportation unusually difficult
  • Blindness (as defined by Vehicle and Traffic Law, Section 404-a,4)
  • Available to residents of Airmont, Chestnut Ridge, Hillburn, Montebello, New Square, Pomona, Sloatsburg and unincorporated Ramapo.  Residents of the other villages contact their Village Hall.

Applications are available from the Town Clerk or downloadable at  The application must be filled out by both the applicant and the applicant's licensed physician. A recent letter from the applicant's physician may be accepted in lieu of physician's portion of the application. Letters or applications signed by chiropractors are not currently acceptable to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. Permanent Permits are good for 3-year period and are renewable without new physician certification.   Temporary Permits are good for up to 6 months, at the discretion of physician. There is no charge for the original permit. Renewal of Temporary Permit requires a new application or letter from physician.

Bingo & Games of Chance License Forms

Eligible organizations (religious, charitable, volunteer or veteran) first obtain a State identification number by submitting form BC-1A (for Bingo) or form GC-1A (for Games of Chance) to: New York State Racing and Wagering Board 1 Empire State Plaza, Suite 1201 Albany NY 12223-1151

After an identification number is obtained, an organization submits a license application to the Town Clerk. The license fee is $25 for Games of Chance and $18.75 for Bingo for each date on which games are to be conducted. Statements of proceeds from games must be filed with the Town Clerk within one week of the event. This process takes several weeks, as Police and Fire Inspectors must verify the safety of premises to be used before approval is granted. All required forms are available from the Town Clerk.


Dog License

All dogs over the age of four (4) months harbored by Town of Ramapo residents must be licensed by the Town Clerk.  To obtain a new dog license:

  • Owner must furnish proof of rabies vaccination, and verification if claiming dog has been spayed or neutered.
  • All original documents are returned to the dog owner.

License fees:

  • Unaltered male or female: $15.00, unless dog is under 6 months old
  • Neutered male or spayed female: $7.00

The above fees include a $6.00 local fee, which is waived for owners over 65 years of age. The owner receives a printed license with identically numbered metal tag for dog. A copy is kept on file in the Town Clerk's Office. Contact the Town Clerk to replace lost or worn tags; there is a $3.00 fee.  Dog licenses must be renewed annually; the expiration date appears on the license.

Renewals: Dog License renewal notices are mailed by the Town Clerk.  The owner receives a renewal form by mail which is also available from the Town Clerk if lost or not received. The owner may renew the license by mail or in person.  The owner must provide documentation of current status of rabies vaccination. The annual fee is the same as for new registration. Dog licenses are considered deliquent after a grace period of 60 days and may incure a late fee of $10.  

Transfer of Ownership:  Town Clerk should be notified of any transfer of ownership, death and/or relinquishment of dog.

Death of Dog: The owner completes "Change of Status" portion on the back of a license or renewal form. The completed form must be mailed or delivered with metal tag to the Town Clerk.

Fish & Game License

Hunting & fishing license requirements are set by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). Licenses may be obtained from the Town Clerk


Landscaping Permit Application

A Landscaping Permit is required for persons or firms providing landscape maintenance services for hire in Unincorporated Ramapo. The fee is $25.00 per vehicle; there is no extra fee for trailers used with a vehicle covered by permit. The permit period extends from March 1st until February 28th of the following year. Applicants must provide proof of valid registration and insurance coverage of all vehicle(s) to be used.

Peddler's License Application

A $1500 bond and $50 fee are required. Application forms may also be obtained from the Town Clerk. Completed application forms must include 3 passport-sized photos of the applicant. Names and addresses of two personal references must be supplied. The applicant must provide fingerprints.  The Ramapo Police Department will fingerprint Ramapo Residents only. The license is issued after receipt of fingerprints, reference replies, bond and fee. Copies are sent to the Police Department for a background check and filed in the Town Clerk's office. A peddler's license is valid for sixty (60) days only for the specific purpose for which it was issued. Licenses may be subject to site restrictions.

Refuse License Application

A refuse license is required for any person or firm engaged in business of collecting, removing and/or transporting refuse in Unincorporated Ramapo. Applications may be obtained from the Town Clerk's office. Applications must be completed, notarized, and returned to the Town Clerk. Applicants must provide proof of insurance coverage for automobile, general liability, and Worker's Compensation. The license is issued and subject to approval by the Director of Public Works and Town Attorney. The license costs $150, and it is valid for a calendar year, January 1st to December 31st with maintenance of proof of insurance as outlined above.  There is an additional per truck fee of $100.

Sewer License Application

A sewer license is required for any person, firm or corporation, before commencement of any work to construct a house sewer or connection to the sewer system. An application for a sewer license shall be submitted to the Town Clerk.

Prior to the issuance of a license by the Town Clerk, the applicant must furnish satisfactory proof as follows:

  • Must be registered with New York Department of State
  • Must possess a Rockland County Contractor License
  • Applicant is qualified to do such work in a good, workmanlike manner.
  • Application is accompanied by bond with sureties acceptable to the Board, in the sum of not less than $10,000.
  • Proof of Liability Insurance, with the Town of Ramapo listed as an “Additional Insured and Primary to the Town of Ramapo” and Worker’s Compensation Insurance
  • The fee for such license shall be $100 payable to the Ramapo Town Clerk upon submission of application

Snowplowing Permit Application

A Snowplowing Permit is required for persons or firms providing snowplowing services for hire in Unincorporated Ramapo. The fee is $40.00 per vehicle. Applicants must provide proof of valid registration and insurance coverage of all vehicle(s) to be used. Applicants must also provide current driver's licenses for all vehicle operators to be covered. Copies of permit, registration(s), insurance card(s), and driver's license(s) are kept on file. The permit is for one season; it expires the following November. A permit includes a vehicle sticker with permit number, license plate number, and expiration date. If the permit covers multiple vehicles, a sticker is provided for each vehicle included on permit.


Temporary Sign Permit Application


Tire Disposal Information

Obtain a sticker ($3 per tire) from the Town Clerk, and place one on each tire. Place the tire(s), with sticker(s) visible, at curbside on your regular recycling pick-up day.